Launch Recite Me assistive technology

Electoral Registration

Voter ID

Voter Authority Certificate and Anonymous Elector Document

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections.  From May 2023 individuals who wish to vote in person, (including those acting as a proxy on behalf of another individual) will be required to produce an accepted form of photographic ID to prove their identify before they will be issued with a ballot paper.

This will apply at:

  • UK Parliamentary General Elections
  • UK Parliamentary by - elections
  • Recall petitions

The legislation commencing the requirement for voter ID to be provided at UK Parliamentary General Elections will only take effect for polls after 5 October 2023.

In Scotland only electors on the UK parliamentary register are eligible to be issued with a Voter Authority Certificate or an Anonymous Elector's Document.

Photo ID is not required at Scottish Parliamentary or Scottish Council elections.

You do not need to apply if you already have an accepted form of photo ID.

Anyone who does not have an accepted form of photo ID will be able to apply for a free voter ID document known as a Voter Authority Certificate.

The accepted form of photographic ID are:

  • a passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state, or a Commonwealth country.
  • a driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state.
  • an identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card).
  • a Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card).
  • a Blue Badge.
  • a national identity card issued by an EEA state.
  • an Older Person's Bus Pass.
  • a Disabled Person's Bus Pass.
  • an Oyster 60+ Card.
  • a Freedom Pass.
  • a National Entitlement Card issued in Scotland.
  • a 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales.
  • a Disabled Person's Welsh Concessionary Travel Card issued in Wales.
  • a Senior SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland.
  • a War Disablement SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland.
  • a 60+ SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland.
  • a Half Fare SmartPass issued in Northern Ireland.
  • an Electoral Identity Card issued in Northern Ireland.

You must be eligible to vote, and registered, to get a Voter Authority Certificate.  If you do not know if you are registered, you can contact us to check. You can register to vote online at or contact us to request a paper voter registration form.

You can apply online at or complete a paper application which we can send to you by post, or you can download here.

To apply, you will need:

  • the address where you are registered to vote.
  • a recent photo.
  • your National Insurance number (You can still apply if you do not have a National Insurance number.  You will need to provide supporting documents and it may take longer to process your application.

A Voter Authority Certificate is free of charge.  We must receive your completed application form by 5pm, 6 working days before the election you want to vote in.

Anonymous electors wishing to vote in person will also need to produce photographic ID.  Due to their entry on the polling station register being linked to their electoral number, rather than their name, the only accepted form of photographic ID will be an Anonymous Elector's Document.  This is a document containing an anonymous elector's elector number and photograph which can be obtained free of charge from this office following verification of the applicant's identity.

Easy read guide on How to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate Easy Read ( published by DLUHC.

The full Scotland series of Electoral Commission animated videos can be viewed here.